We love the month of May – because we get not one, but two Bank Holiday weekends. And that extra day is the perfect opportunity to tackle those little jobs around your home that usually get put off. Here we’ve made a short list of jobs you can get done over the long weekend – and still have time to put your feet up…
- Clean your windows and mirrors – you’ll quite literally get a clearer view on the world! Clear panes that are free of dust and smears make a small but significant difference to the look of a room, so dig out a soft cloth and some elbow grease and get wiping. A 50-50 mixture of white vinegar and warm water makes a cheap, effective DIY cleaning product.
- Got a bit more time to spare? Refresh paintwork on skirting boards, window frames and sills. A fresh coat of a satin or gloss white will brighten up the ‘outline’ of the room.
- Replacing your kitchen door and drawer handles is a quick and cost-effective way to make the room feel a bit more ‘you’. Browse our range of door handles and see what takes your fancy, or head to a local DIY or homeware shop. Mismatching handles on rustic Shaker doors can give your kitchen a cool, bohemian feel.
- Add some greenery. Pop to your nearest garden centre and pick up a few potted plants to add a splash of green to your kitchen. Herbs are obviously ideal – mint, tarragon, sage, parsley and basil can all be grown inside, as long as a sunny windowsill is available. For some colour, chrysanthemums and African violets will do well in small pots.
- You can replace your unit doors in less than two days – so you can transform your kitchen and still have a day off to relax. Swapping dated woodgrain doors for a cool white or grey style will make the room look instantly fresher and more modern.
- Rearrange your storage. The five zones method is really useful when it comes to deciding where everything should go. Having pots, pans, crockery, cutlery and everyday ingredients on hand when you need them will make your life that bit easier.
And once you’ve done all that, it’s definitely time to relax…